Saturday, June 11, 2005

Farmer's Market

My little town is a hub for farmers in this region. Every summer they set up a farmers market on saturdays which is open until early in the afternoon. There is also much hype about it; you just cannot miss the pamphlets advertising this market whereever you are in town. So naturally I cannot resist from making a visit.

The market has been open almost four weeks now, but today was the first time I could arouse myself to go there. My excitement for the market was not so much in the variety of vegetables I was told would be available but for the conversations I wanted to have with the farmers. In the end, it turned out to be such a disappointment. Except for the farmers and their produce I could find everybody else there! There were plenty of flower sellers, perfume sellers and even samosas could be found there! But no vegetables, no farmers!

So much for the plan to make the perfect sambar this afternoon!

No comments: